Tool Bar Buttons

Moderator: jsachs

Marpel
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Nikon D810

Tool Bar Buttons

Post by Marpel »

Many of the buttons in the Tool Bar, when activated, require further action/clicking in the dialogue box for results.

However, a couple are more info related only - Histogram, Display Image Info and Menu of Open Files to name the ones I could come up with.

The Show Clipped Highlights and Shadows buttons currently allow one to click on the button to access the related info, ie will show the areas of clipping in the image. But they can be briefly viewed, if desired, and without moving the cursor, a second click will turn them off.

With the noted ones I first mentioned, though, one has to move the cursor to the X in the dialogue box to de-activate them (although for Menu of Open Files, one has to move the cursor into the image area and not to an X).

If not too much of a problem, can the three noted buttons be changed so one can simply keep the cursor on the button and click that button to de-activate after a quick view of the information, rather than moving to the dialogue to turn off. I often want to do a quick Histogram or Info check then fairly quickly deactivate the dialogue.

If it is not too much of a problem, unless there is another reason for the current protocol.

Marv
jsachs

Re: Tool Bar Buttons

Post by jsachs »

Here is what is going on:

There are three types of tool bars, depending on how the buttons work.

1) Buttons - selecting a button initiates some action
2) Radio Buttons - selecting a button deselects the others
3) Check Boxes - selecting a button toggles its state

The Histogram mode button, for example, is part of a Radio Button tool bar so clicking on this button de-selects the previous mode (typically Scroll mode) and selects Histogram mode. It works this way because only one of the available modes can be selected at any one time.

The Show Clipped Highlights buttons, for example, is a check box and toggles. It works this way because clipped highlights and clipped shadows are independent settings and can be set in any combination.

The leftmost tool bar is made up of buttons.

While it violates the way other radio button tool bars work, I could make clicking the Histogram button when it is already selected select Scroll mode instead of being ignored. Since this inconsistency is unlikely to cause confusion, I think it would be a good idea.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
Marpel
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Nikon D810

Re: Tool Bar Buttons

Post by Marpel »

Jonathan,

Thanks for the explanation.

I was unaware that some buttons (Radio) were "tied" to other buttons. I just assumed, you click one button to turn on a tool and re-click to turn it off, and those actions had no impact on other tools. Learn something new every day....

Marv