Composite overlay mask removed on reprocessing

Moderator: jsachs

davidh

Composite overlay mask removed on reprocessing

Post by davidh »

1. Add Composite after a parent transformation, load an Overlay image and create a New mask on it (I used Gradient).
2. Clone the branch, go to Overlay Amount, reset the mask and load the Composite mask created in the previous step.
3. Do some minor unimportant change to the parent transformation (I just decreased Monochrome Amount) -> the Overlay mask is removed when Composite is reprocessed.

This does not happen when New mask... is used instead of loading an existing one.

This never happens with the Amount (input image) mask whether loaded or created.
jsachs

Re: Composite overlay mask removed on reprocessing

Post by jsachs »

I am not able to reproduce this here.

In step 2, which Overlay Amount are you resetting?

Can you post or email me a workspace script?
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
davidh

Post by davidh »

As it shows, the parent image is not necessary though I added Brighteness Curve for an ilustration.

Image 1
1. Create a branch with Composite, load an Overlay image, Create an Overlay mask (here gradient)
2. Clone the branch

Image 2
1. Reopen Composite, go to Overlay Amount, reset the mask
2. Load the same original mask from the list, click OK

Image 3
The cloned Composite displays the Overlay mask icon in the Browser

Image 4
1. Reopen the cloned Composite -> the Overlay Amount rectangle is empty and the Overlay mask icon gets removed from the Browser
2. Alternatively edit a parent transformation -> the Overlay mask icon gets removed from the Browser and after Composite is opened there is no mask in the Overlay Amount rectangle.

An interesting point is that though the mask is no longer there, its efect is still visible both in Composite thumbnail in the Browser and the preview window.

Once again, when you recreate a mask in the Image 2 step 2 instead of loading it, the mask stays put.

Jonathan, I failed to attach the workspace script. It says "Invalid file extention....etc.". Changing it to .txt or .png does not help. Any suggestion?
Attachments
Composite Overlay mask.png
Composite Overlay mask.png (82.53 KiB) Viewed 3682 times
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

Still not seeing the problem here. Are you using the latest version?

You can just email workspace files to me at jsachs@dl-c.com.

I believe you can upload zip files -- to create one just right click in Windows Explorer and select New Compressed Folder from the popup menu. Name it and then drag the file(s) you want in the zip file to the folder.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
davidh

Post by davidh »

Yes, I am using version 8.0.221,
attached is the zipped Composite Overlay mask (loaded overlay mask)
and Composite Overlay mask 2 (reset and recreated overlay mask)

The workspace (Composite Overlay mask) was saved at the stage described in the Image 3 - with the Overlay mask icon in the browser existing.
However when I close and reload the workspace, the Overlay mask icon in the browser is missing even without opening the Composite transformation. Looks like loaded Overlay mask is not saved in the workspace - this shows Composite Overlay mask.zip.
To duplicate the issue just reopen the cloned Composite

This is not the case when the Overlay mask is created using New mask... command. To compare the workspaces see the Composite Overlay mask 2.zip.

Please, do not confuse it with cloning Composite with a mask and then reopening the cloned Composite. There is no problem.
The problem arises after loading an existing mask.

Another scenario:
Instead of cloning Composite just add a splitter above it, add another Composite below the splitter, load an overlay image, load the original Overlay mask and click OK.
When you reopen the new Composite you get the problem again.
Attachments
Composite Overlay mask.zip
(1.28 KiB) Downloaded 182 times
Composite Overlay mask 2.zip
(1.28 KiB) Downloaded 179 times
Preferences.JPG
Preferences.JPG (56.95 KiB) Viewed 3666 times
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

I can reproduce the problem using your workspace files, but as far as I can tell, if I try to rebuild the workspace from scratch the problem does not happen. Will need to investigate further.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
davidh

Post by davidh »

One more observation - a bit confusing, sorry for that:

(Not in the image)
1. Clone already cloned Composite (7) -> it gets cloned as 19 but without the mask - no mask thumbnail in the browser
2. Open Composite 19 and expand the Overlay Amount list -> there are two previous masks: 3 (original created as New) and 7 (cloned)
3a. load the original mask 3, click OK and reopen Composite 7 -> there are again two masks: 3 and 19, the first and the last
however
3b. if you load mask 7 (cloned) instead, click OK and then reopen Composite 7 -> there is only one mask: 3 (original), mask 19 (cloned) is missing even though its thumbail is visible in the browser.

The image shows another situation where the original Overlay mask (3) was first reset and then the list was expaned -> no mask from either of the cloned branches 7 or 19 is present even though their thumbails are visible in the browser.

Don't know if that can help anything.

If of any use I can also attach the images for the steps 1 - 3b.
Attachments
Composite Overlay mask 3.png
Composite Overlay mask 3.png (35.98 KiB) Viewed 3654 times
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

OK, I believe I have found and fixed the problem for the next release -- the code was checking to verify that the size of the mask was the same as the size of the image it applied to. In the case of a mismatch, the mask was being reset. This protects against the case where you change the input image and the initial mask image is no longer valid. It was however locating the incorrect image to compare the mask with in certain cases where the mask was based on an initial image. This problem only showed up because the two File New transformations in your example were different sizes. When I tried to reproduce the problem I made them the same size and the error did not occur.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color