Splitter

Moderator: jsachs

Robert Schleif

Splitter

Post by Robert Schleif »

Some months ago we had a brief conversation on whether new images to the image browser should be added to the left of preexisting images or to their right. Left won out. In the interest of uniformity (newest stuff is on the left), wouldn't it make sense that the new branch introduced by a splitter be positioned to the left of the preexisting branch?
jsachs

Re: Splitter

Post by jsachs »

This would relocate the existing branch which I think would be unexpected. If consistency is really an issue I think it would be better to add new top level branches on the right than to change the way splitters work.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
Robert Schleif

Post by Robert Schleif »

I, myself, would prefer that, as it seems natural to me that the newest material is on the right. We write in that directioin, list numbers in that direction etc and so on.
tomczak
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Fuji X-E2

Post by tomczak »

It somehow arranges in my mind intuitively the way it is. Maybe this analogy, changing top-->bottom to left-->right could be helpful: in To Do lists, the new item is often placed on top, but the subitems of this item are listed underneath it.

Jonathan once mentioned Steve Krugs book "Don't Make Me Think - a common sense approach to usability" when he was redesigning threshold sliders so that moving them all the way to the right would have the full transformation effect regardless of whatever the definition of threshold for any particular slider may be. I was sceptical, but it works! - I don't have to read or think of the definition of each threshold anymore.

Krugs coined this slogan on consistency: "Clarity Trumps Consistency".
Maciej Tomczak
Phototramp.com