Two things about Clone

Moderator: jsachs

davidh

Two things about Clone

Post by davidh »

I am still with the version 8.0.195 but there doesn't seem to be any changes made to Clone since.

When I sometimes have a few small places which are too dark - practically pitch black - and cannot be corrected in the raw process, I use Clone and lighten them a fraction - around 97% Transparency - from a solid dark gray place as a source of the same image.

These are my other Clone defaults:
Mode: Lighten Only,
Brush: Continuous
Cursors: Fixed
Tiled: No
Overlapped: No

Today I had a very contrasty image with not enough dark gray place so I had to use a bit lighter place and found that I had probably misunderstood the parameter Overlapped for as I stroked the dark place it got lighter with each stroke where the strokes overlapped.
I would expect that with the Overlapped set to No, it would get lighter only to the degree set by Transparency. This way it looks to me that with each stroke it sources the output image until it equals the input source at the zero transparency. This I would expect from Overlapped set to Yes.
But I might be mistaken.

------------

And the other thing.
If you make one set of strokes and then click Undo last operation, together with the strokes also the settings are reset to the values shown below whatever they were set to before.
If you had more sets of separated strokes, this naturally happens after the last Undo.

Here I would expect only the strokes to be removed. Or at least preserved the settings beginning with Mode downward.

The settings after the last Undo:
Transparency: 0
Softness 50
Spacing 25
Fadeout 0
Mode: Copy,
Brush: Continuous
Cursors: Linked
Tiled: No
Overlapped: Yes
jsachs

Re: Two things about Clone

Post by jsachs »

Overlapped actually means something different -- it determines whether you are cloning from the input image to the output image (non-overlapped) or from the output image to itself (overlapped). In overlapped mode, it is possible for clone to get into a feedback loop and produce repetitive patterns.

I need to think about the undo issue a little bit before commenting as changing it may have unintended consequences.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
Robert Schleif

Post by Robert Schleif »

Like davidh, I also misinterpreted the meaning of "overlapped" mode. I haven't thought of a less ambiguous single word, but something like choosing between "source = target" vs "source is not target" is a little less ambiguous.
MarkT

Post by MarkT »

Yes, that switch was sort of at my request, as I like how PWP 7 handled cloning - "overlapping" to me is being able to clone over a larger area, copying the stuff you've just copied onto the next area you go to. I never think of it in terms of "input" or "output" image.

I think "overlapped" is the best description, but as long as the option to switch between modes remains, I don't care what it's called.
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

I changed it to Recycle.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
MarkT

Post by MarkT »

I'm good with that ( but is it recycle, or reuse? /attemptathumour )