Overlay Mask

Moderator: jsachs

Marpel
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Nikon D810

Overlay Mask

Post by Marpel »

Latest version.

Composite Transform. Apply a mask to the Overlay Image, then press the "Display Preview" button.

The Preview Image will appear, but is the same (reduced) size as it was when there were two images side by side.

Pressing the Enlarge button or 1:1 brings the scroll bars along the right and bottom edges, but the image won't enlarge.

Seems to work OK when the mask is applied to the Input Image.

Marv
jsachs

Re: Overlay Mask

Post by jsachs »

Fixed for next release -- this problem occurs if the overlay (Ov) image is selected at the time you switch to displaying just the output image. A similar problem also affects Stack Images, Layout, and Repeat. Clicking on the main input image thumbnail in the image browser or clicking the (In) button before changing the display is a temporary workaround.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
Marpel

Post by Marpel »

Thanks Jonathan,

And, bit of a different matter.

If I use Composite and identify the Input and Overlay image, then 1 Point Alignment, the "bounding box" appears around the left image.

If I then try to use a mask (On the Input Image, haven't tried it with Overlay), the mask appears in the Mask box, but the bounding box disappears. The same thing occurs if the mask is identified first, the bounding box is absent when clicking 1 Point Alignment.
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

You can't have both the mask and the bounding box at the same time, but you can switch back and forth by clicking alternately on the caption bar of the Mask dialog box and the caption bar of the Composite dialog box.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
Marpel

Post by Marpel »

OK, good to know. Am I wrong or didn't PWP7 have this capability? Just seems that I've done it in the past.
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

Let me clarify my earlier response.

You can see the bounding box and the mask at the same time if you click on the caption of Composite dialog box. You can turn off the bounding box overlay by clicking on the Mask dialog box. You can turn off the mask overlay by closing the Mask dialog box or by setting the mask transparency.

Only one dialog box at a time can have control over mouse events (click, drag, mouse move, mouse wheel) that happen in the main image area. Clicking on the caption of a window gives it control over the events. So, if the Mask dialog box has control, you could for example draw a freehand mask. If Composite has control, you can click and drag the alignment points. In PWP 7 this was generally handled by the eyedropper button, and I recently extended this function to the PWP 8 color picker since it was irritating for color pickers to usurp control from the main transformation dialog box on the off chance that you would want to select a color from the main image.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color