Can't get GPS tagging to work

Moderator: jsachs

MarkT

Can't get GPS tagging to work

Post by MarkT »

Hello,

Not sure how to look for my mistake, but I'm unable to get the GPS data into my photos. I have a .gpx file, that seems to be fine - I can draw a map that looks pretty accurate from the data. But when I run the Geotag Folder function, the GPS data does not show up in the EXIF of the photos.

The timestamp in the EXIF data looks "correct", so maybe the timestamp in the .gpx file is off somehow, but I can't make sense of the log data.

Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks. Mark
jsachs

Re: Can't get GPS tagging to work

Post by jsachs »

How did you generate the gpx file? If you used a phone, did you confirm the camera date and time matched the phone date and time?
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
MarkT

Post by MarkT »

I used a Sony GPS-CS1 unit to record a .log file. and https://www.gpsvisualizer.com/convert_input to convert the file to .gpx.

I realized I did not have DST properly set on the camera, so I modified the create time with EXIFTool.

I tried with some older files that should have the correct time, and still no luck.
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

OK, email me the GPX file and the EXIF time and I will try to check if they match.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
MarkT

Post by MarkT »

Update: All is well. Ran Geotagging on some images from 2012 and the GPS data (gpx file converted from Sony log file...) was updated without a problem. And, these were NEF files (Nikon raw... I forgot the originals were all raw files...), and there were no issues at all.