line, arrow, text tool

Moderator: jsachs

rfuerman
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: sony rx100iii

line, arrow, text tool

Post by rfuerman »

Hello. PWP v 187.
Tool | Line, Arrow, Text
a) the R click menu (v186) is much better. Still vote for a ctrl+Z type of undo for those times I miss clicking on the ctrl point.
b) The alignment control. This adjusts the text alignment PLUS, it moves the start point of the arrow. So when I change text to L align, the arrow start moves to the LEFT side of the text box. It does this by moving the TB. Help says that this is intended to move the arrow start; I assumed it was intended for text align because of the location on text dialog. The arrow align should be labeled as such and moved to line & arrow dlg; if no text, than how can user adjust arrow position? Suggest a new control for text align.
c)The arrowhead at beginning or both ends of line is frequently hidden behind the TB esp if user selects center align. A line or arrow margin control could be used to move line away from TB.
d) Change the text and border color to red or yellow & the TB disappears! All other colors seem to be ok. Tried again with a new image & works OK. Do these color controls work differently for a color image vs b&w image? I see the disappearing TB on the b&w image.
e) Have two saved scripts with multiple TB and arrow annotations. One opens as expected and I can edit the TB. Second opens more like a saved image and cannot select or edit the TB. Both scripts saved with v187. Examine the saved script files and I don't see any obvious difference.
thx, Bob
rfuerman

Re: line, arrow, text tool

Post by rfuerman »

b) ... moved to line & arrow dlg; - NO, nothing to align if there is no TB, doh.
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

b) The alignment control. This adjusts the text alignment PLUS, it moves the start point of the arrow. So when I change text to L align, the arrow start moves to the LEFT side of the text box. It does this by moving the TB. Help says that this is intended to move the arrow start; I assumed it was intended for text align because of the location on text dialog. The arrow align should be labeled as such and moved to line & arrow dlg; if no text, than how can user adjust arrow position? Suggest a new control for text align.

Multi-line text is currently set to left, right or center justified following to the Alignment setting. I will add a left/center/right justification option to the requested features list for future consideration. The line/arrow always starts at the first control point and continues through the other control points sequentially. The alignment setting specifies what part of the text box lines up with the first control point. This is a useful text attribute whether there is an arrow or not as it defines the relationship between the text and the point is is labeling. Whether or not there is text, you position the control points to adjust the line/arrow location.

c)The arrowhead at beginning or both ends of line is frequently hidden behind the TB esp if user selects center align. A line or arrow margin control could be used to move line away from TB.

The arrow/text feature is not intended to handle double arrows. If you want to do this you need to create the text and arrow as two separate entities.

d) Change the text and border color to red or yellow & the TB disappears! All other colors seem to be ok. Tried again with a new image & works OK. Do these color controls work differently for a color image vs b&w image? I see the disappearing TB on the b&w image.

As I believe it says in the help file, you cannot apply colored text or arrows to a black and white image since the output image type is always the same as the input image type. As it happens, the text color is converted to B&W by using its R channel and ignoring G and B. If you want to draw colored text or arrows on a B&W image, you need to convert it to color first.

e) Have two saved scripts with multiple TB and arrow annotations. One opens as expected and I can edit the TB. Second opens more like a saved image and cannot select or edit the TB. Both scripts saved with v187. Examine the saved script files and I don't see any obvious difference.

Can you email me the two script files?
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

For the next release, I added a separate text justification tool bar to the Text and Lines, Arrows, Text transformations. I also fixed some problems with placing text over 16-bit images.

Regarding double arrows, you can actually do this now. If you set Alignment to anything other than Center, an Offset control will appear next to the Alignment control. Increasing the Offset value lets you move the text box away from the control point to leave room for the second arrowhead.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
rfuerman

Re: line, arrow, text tool - text background

Post by rfuerman »

Hello. Creating a flyer & converting to gray scale. (it is actually still a color image, but I changed most of yellow to white with remap transform.)
Screenshot 2021-01-11.png
Screenshot 2021-01-11.png (54.3 KiB) Viewed 2353 times
There are three text boxes at bottom of the line, arrow transform: the top & bottom have text background = white; the middle has text background = yellow. The text boxes overlay the image, so I would expect the middle TB to have the yellow background on the remap transform, but it is white.
I see that the transforms may be reversed - if I move the color map above the line, arrow transform, then the TB colors are correct. But the TB background color should apply in both positions.
Thank you, Bob
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

I think I understand your post, but I may have it wrong. My understanding is that you have two transformations -- Lines, Arrow Text followed by Color Remap. From the screen shot, it looks like the middle text background color is a slightly different yellow from the overall background, gut it is hard to tell.

First Lines, Arrow Text paint the center text box with black text and a yellow background. Next, Color Remap changes the yellow text background to white, and since the overall background is a slightly different color and does not match exactly it turns into a light yellow. This is what I would expect since Color Remap is just acting on its input image, of which the text background.

If you reverse the order of the two transformations, Color Remap first changes the overall background color to light yellow and then Lines, Arrow Text paints a black text on a yellow background, which accounts for the different end result.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color