Two observations about the Fill Tool and one suggestion.

Moderator: jsachs

davidh

Two observations about the Fill Tool and one suggestion.

Post by davidh »

The following two comments apply only to separate previews, not to Side by Side preview.

If you click on or near a point you make it active. If you then click on another point, you do not make it active because the Fill window got deactivated by the previous click. However, the color icon in the Fill window does show the color of the point which was clicked on last. The points and the color icon are synchronized even though the points are not made active.

There is another inconsistency: You can click and drag the point to make it active with the Fill window deactivated, but the click itself is not enough.
Besides, by clicking and dragging more points you seem to make them all active as they all display a cross inside the circle, but looking at the Fill window Color icon you see that only the last dragged point is in fact active - on condition that each point has a different color to make it possible to tell then apart.
You can easily find which one of the dragged points is active (dragged last) by switching to Display Preview and back to Display Input.

-------------

The suggestion (see the image):

Let presume you have an image with almost solid sky with few isolated locations like those inside the metal ladder in the image (the ladder hoops are disregarded for the ilustration).
You pick the color and place one fill point in the sky and others in each isolated location. Now you have a solid color all over the sky.
However, when you decide to change the color of the sky, you have to remove the isolated points and start afresh because you can make only one fill point active at a time. You can also select each isolated point and try to tune it to the new color but it is near to impossible.

A way to select more points at a time would solve the it. For example pressing Alt key?
Attachments
Fill suggestion.png
Fill suggestion.png (44.88 KiB) Viewed 2576 times
jsachs

Re: Two observations about the Fill Tool and one suggestion.

Post by jsachs »

I fixed several problems related to displaying the cross for the current control point incorrectly.

>> If you click on or near a point you make it active. If you then click on another point, you do not make it active because the Fill window got deactivated by the previous click. However, the color icon in the Fill window does show the color of the point which was clicked on last. The points and the color icon are synchronized even though the points are not made active.

Either I am not understanding this or I am not seeing it happen here. Whenever I click on a new control point, the color always updates.

You suggestion makes a lot of sense but is not a simple change -- will add to the requested features list for future consideration.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
davidh

Post by davidh »

>> ..... The points and the color icon are synchronized even though the points are not made active.

<<Either I am not understanding this or I am not seeing it happen here. Whenever I click on a new control point, the color always updates.>>

-------------

Did you have Display Input preview ON?

In Display Input preview only one click is possible to make a point active. Clicking then on another point has no effect. You need to click in Fill window to make it active first.

1. Switch to Display Input preview and click on the Fill window title bar or elsewhere in the window to make sure it is active.
2. Click on a fill point in the preview -> you make it active (cross in the circle).
3. Click on another point in the preview -> that does not make it active (no cross in the circle).
4. click on the Fill window to make it active -> now you are able to make another point active.

This is not necessary in Side by Side preview. You can activate any point without interruption.

Looks like Display Input preview mode is not refreshed on a click, because even though you fail to make a point active by clicking on it, the color icon in the Fill window is refreshed and does display the color assigned to this particular (not activated) point.
It is easily visible when a different color is assigned to each point.
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

For whatever reason, it seems to be working now. Let me know if you still have problems after the next release.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
davidh

Post by davidh »

Works fine in PWP 8.0.188. Thanks.
davidh

Post by davidh »

Perhaps for future consideration: a command like "Remove all points" and possibly also "Reset all points to defaults" would be very useful if you wanted to start afresh without losing a mask.
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

I added Remove All Control Points to the Settings menu for the next release.

The suggestion of a Reset either with or without resetting the mask really would make sense for all transformations that have masks. I took a look at what it would take to implement, but unfortunately it would be a nontrivial code rewrite of a lot of transformations.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
davidh

Post by davidh »

Thanks for Remove All Control Points command. This is very helpful.

The suggestion to reset all points to defaults was ment disregarding any mask. What I had in mind was a situation, for example where you want to make a uniform background in a complex environment like the sky among tree branches. In such a situation you would have quite a lot of points to work with and at one moment you might decide to change color of all points.

Kind of softer version of Removing all points. But at a second thought it would be quite a redundant feature, as I see it now, there is not much difference beween adding and setting new points after they were all cleared, and activating and setting existing points after they were all reset.

Besides, there are other ways to deal with the sky between branches or similar situations.