Update Available - Version 8.0.171

Moderator: jsachs

jsachs

Update Available - Version 8.0.171

Post by jsachs »

An update is available to Version 8.0.171 (9-Nov-2020)

The changes (taken from the update log) are:

Added minimize icon to Batch Progress dialog box.

New feature: Lens profiles – used to correct for vignetting, distortion and chromatic aberration in raw files. For details, see new document: Lens and Camera Profiles.pdf. Added a new test pattern transformation (Lens Profile Target) used for creating lens profiles. Added File/Create Lens Profile command for creating lens profiles – still under construction. Added Raw Develop transformation for applying camera and lens profiles to raw images as well as making tonal and color adjustments and sharpening – still under construction.

LibRaw updated to version 0.20.2.

Image Info: fixed problems with camera make display.

Added button to main tool bar for File/White Screen command.

Scripts: fixed problems with saving comments for side branches.

Added a red tint to the edges of depressed tool bar radio buttons.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
Charles2
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Fuji X-Pro 2

Re: Update Available - Version 8.0.171

Post by Charles2 »

From the white paper:
jsachs wrote: November 9th, 2020, 9:32 am Camera profiles are standard ICC color profiles that convert the colors in raw files to a standard color space.
No explanation of .dcp camera profiles? For what it is worth, Adobe DNG Editor writes a profile in .dcp format, so it is something to deal with.
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

I had never heard of DCP files so I looked them up. DCP apparently stands for Digital Cinema Package and is not a color profile but a way of packaging a video sequence along with an associated sound file and four additional metadata files. This format is used to submit films to digital cinemas.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
Charles2
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Fuji X-Pro 2

Post by Charles2 »

jsachs wrote: November 9th, 2020, 5:44 pm I had never heard of DCP files so I looked them up. DCP apparently stands for Digital Cinema Package and is not a color profile...
There are 17,576 (26^3) three-letter file extensions, but duplicates popped up long before.
What Are DCP Profiles and Why Do I Need Them?
Technically, each photosite in a digital photography camera's image sensor outputs a certain current based on the number of photons of light that hit that photosite. The current is converted into a number. These numbers, along with some metadata, are stored in what is known as a "raw file". At this point there is no concept of color and the raw data looks nothing like an image. As in traditional photography, the image must be "developed" into a usable form. One of the steps of this development involves translating the numbers into accurate colors, and for that you need to profile the camera, to map the numbers to specific known colors.
Practically, you must use an input color profile in order to get accurate colors, and currently the best way to go about this is using a "DNG camera profile" (DCP for short - do not confuse with the entirely unrelated Digital Cinema Package). The input color profile is what makes a camera's colors look they way they do when you open a photo, before you make any tweaks.
https://rawpedia.rawtherapee.com/How_to ... r_profiles
.dcp files are common. Huelight sells them for various cameras. As previously mentioned, Adobe uses the .dcp format.
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

OK, I stand corrected. I spent some time reading about the Adobe profile editor.

To create a universal raw profile requires standard raw data that is used as a starting point. The output of LibRaw is visibly different from the Adobe raw converter since the images I get from LibRaw look different from the versions of the same raw file in Lightroom using its default settings, so I think the Adobe DCP files only work within the Adobe ecosystem. If you tried to apply the Adobe DCP profiles to the output of LibRaw I don't think they would work.

The quoted description you posted implies that the DNG camera profile works on the unprocessed raw data, but I don't believe this is correct -- before it even remotely resembles an image, the data needs to be heavily gamma corrected, possibly white balanced, and usually an S-shaped curve is also applied to adjust the contrast. Every raw converter seems to do this a little differently.

In any case, I still have a lot of work to do to get Raw Develop to work so I can't really investigate further until I finish.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
priort

Post by priort »

These files are generally dual illuminant. Other lighting conditions are interpolated from them...usually d65 and tungsten for DCP vs D50 for ICC files. Some of the best info on DCP files, manipulating , converting to icc etc comes from an open source program Dcamprof..http://rawtherapee.com/mirror/dcamprof/dcamprof.html and https://torger.se/anders/photography/ca ... iling.html A DNG file can also serve as a dcp file as all the info is generally embedded...I have used dcam to convert adobe camera raw dcp files to ICC as I use Darktable which only supports icc. Rawtherapee supports DCP directly so the code would be available as it is open source....it is nice as you can have access to the color tables and tone curve of the dcp file and enable or disable them..I think Rawtherapee uses Libraw??
Attachments
Screenshot 2020-11-12 134158.png
Screenshot 2020-11-12 134158.png (21.03 KiB) Viewed 5179 times
Last edited by priort on November 12th, 2020, 2:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
priort

Post by priort »

With Dcamprof you can convert the DCP file to json file which is readable text and the format used to convert to an icc file...

Here is the base DCP from adobe for the Pixel 3axl phone. I tweaked it in Adobe DCP Profile editor and saved it out to json with Dcam....
Attachments
GP3tweak.zip
(119.35 KiB) Downloaded 239 times
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

I was looking at Dcamprof and found this is the documentation:

"Note that ICC profiles that work for one raw converter may not work in the next as the color rendering pipeline is not standardized."

which is exactly what I am concerned about. Camera profiling is very sensitive to what raw image of a test target you start with. When I post the next release with support for camera and lens profiles - probably within a few days, if you have a profile you created that works with Raw Therapee (or whatever other raw converter you use), try converting it to an ICC profile and trying it with PWP. If the result looks more of less the same, then this is worth pursuing. If not, it's likely a waste of time.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
priort

Post by priort »

I really just did it as an exercise (convert the DCP to ICC). I think many people want access to them as they deliver the "Adobe" processing and colors to the edit but they might be restricted to ICC. I usually rely on ICC files. I have a target and use Argyll. I only recently discovered the icc creation you have embedded in PWP8...thanks for adding the Spyder checker. I have not used RT too much but it does have a straightforward organization for color which is easy to follow and they have a setting to create a reference tiff with no color profile and linear gamma which is what most profiling software seems to expect. I was just suggesting it as it is open source and it supports dcp files so the code for it would already be there and also I thought someone remarked that only adobe supported dcp files so it was just to share the info that this was not the case......I am amazed at all the changes you have baked in over the last year or so I have been following PWP8.
priort

Post by priort »

I think since PWP8 will open DNG anyone wanting the benefits of Adobe's DCP can just use the Adobe DNG converter and convert their raw files to DNG and then open in PWP8....That should essentially bake in the settings from the DCP I would think??? Now if they want to use a custom DCP then maybe that would not suit them...