One and two step mask operations

Moderator: jsachs

Robert Schleif

One and two step mask operations

Post by Robert Schleif »

Some of the tools and operations in Mask immediately alter the mask and the transformed image, for example freehand addition or subtraction to the mask. Others, like feather, immediately change the mask, but do not change the transformed image until you click on the running man. I would prefer that all modifications to a mask be applied to the transformed image without the need for any additional operation. I understand that changing a mask might then start a lengthy calculation of the transformed image so that it would make sense to separate building a mask from applying it. I've not experienced such a situation however. One way to satisfy both needs would be to automatically start calculating the new transformed image, and if the calculation is not finished in ten seconds, provide a way of stopping the calculation if you want.
jsachs

Re: One and two step mask operations

Post by jsachs »

You are missing the point of the two-step mask operations. The main reason is not to save recalculation time although it does have that side effect. Say for example you select the blur tool - if it worked in one step it would blur immediately and you would never have a chance to move the slider. If it finalized the operation each time you moved the slider you would have to undo it every time you wanted to try a different blur amount. Previously blur had an Apply button which is similar to the finalize button it has now. The new way gives you a change to play with the blur slider and see the mask change immediately before finalizing -- this visual feedback in Blur and Feather is a huge advantage. The old way made you undo the blur and try again each time you changed the blur radius.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
Robert Schleif

Post by Robert Schleif »

OK, thank you. Possibly then for consistency for all the mask tools should we need to select the running man?
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

While there is some inherent value in consistency, I think that it would be annoying to have to finalize the freehand outline tool -- the cue in the present implementation is that the running man button is hidden when you don't need to click it (e.g. freehand tool) and grayed after you click it until you make another change (e.g. blur tool). It was very tricky to get all the tools to work together and work with undo, since some apply automatically at the end of each stroke (freehand, paint) some apply immediately but then need to be finalized (blur), and some don't apply immediately but need to be finalized (flood fill).
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
Robert Schleif

Post by Robert Schleif »

I agree with your reasoning and see that, overall, a trade off sometimes has to be made between consistency and convenience.
1. What if the running man button were always present, but in already grey for those tools that act immediately or in grey after a tool has operated on the image, and in black and white when it needs to be selected in order for the tool or transformation to act on the image?
2. Currently the location of the running man button varies somewhat from tool to tool or transformation to transformation. Could it be placed in the same place in all cases? (In the case of the feather tool, coming at the end of a row of 14 other buttons leaves the running man button quite inconspicuous. Some programs relegate Help to the far right. Could the positions of Help and Running Man be exchanged?)
Robert Schleif

Post by Robert Schleif »

The changes involving Running Man in version 154 nicely remind me when I may need to click on it.