a question about HW

Moderator: jsachs

davidh

a question about HW

Post by davidh »

I must upgrade my system to be able to process images of the paper size A2-A1, even perhaps A0 using PWP 8.0.
As I am no guru on hardware, I would like to ask whether the following crucial parts of the configuration are enough, possibly with some reserve still.
It is a ready made configuration so regarding the first two items there is not a better option.

Processor: AMD RYZEN 5 3400G @ 3.7GHz
RAM: G.Skill Aegis 32GB (2x16GB) 3200 MHz
Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B450M-A
SSD disk: HyperX Fury 480GB SSD (or more, just for an illustration)

An advice welcome. Thanks.
David
jsachs

Re: a question about HW

Post by jsachs »

Overall this should work fine. Here are my detailed comments:

Processor: The AMD 3400G has 4 cores (8 threads) -- some of the newer processors have 8 or more cores which makes them roughly twice as fast on complex operations. This is basically a cost vs performance compromise.

RAM: 32GB is fine for most full-frame images. If you start stitching together a lot of big images, there is a chance you might need 64GB. According to the motherboard specs, you should have 2 extra slots to expand to 64GB later, which is good.

Disk: The SSD is nice, but of course you will need something much large to store and back up your image files.

As I mentioned in a recent update, PWP no longer uses NVIDIA graphics cards for acceleration so the choice of graphics cards does not matter much. Preferably get one that supports two monitors -- adding an inexpensive HD monitor lets you move the dialog boxes and image browser off of your primary monitor.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
davidh

Post by davidh »

If I read it well, there is not much reserve with this processor. I am not planning stitching for now but one never knows.

I will look for another configuration or perhaps I will have some PC shop to do it for me beginning with the AMD RYZEN 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz on a motherboard supporting 64GB RAM.

The thing is that the PCs with high performance processors and lot of memor always go with high performance graphic cards which is something I do not need as I am not looking for a gaming PC.
I am not sure, but I guess I do not need more costly intel procesors i7 or more for my amateur photo work.

Jonathan, thanks for sharing your experience.
Charles2
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Fuji X-Pro 2

Post by Charles2 »

Wow, A0 is 210 by 297 inches. I guess Jonathan mentioned stitching because inkjet printers like 300 or 360 pixels per inch input. You can upsize an image from perhaps 180 ppi if expected viewers will not get close to the prints. Taking shots with good technique for the stitch, and testing the several resampling algorithms in PWP8, will have a lot to do with print quality.

I don't take on that challenge, but as I have upgraded sections of a 2012 Dell computer over the years, my biggest regret is that I did not get a 2 TB or larger hard drive as soon as they were practical. CPU speed has not mattered significantly, 16 GB RAM has been adequate, and it has been a pleasure to upgrade the monitor.
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

A0 is 33.1 in × 46.8 in.

I think you are confusing it with A4 paper which is 210 x 297mm or roughly letter size.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
Charles2
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Fuji X-Pro 2

Post by Charles2 »

jsachs wrote: September 4th, 2020, 1:35 pm A0 is 33.1 in × 46.8 in. I think you are confusing it with A4 paper which is 210 x 297mm or roughly letter size.
You are right. My blunder.
davidh

Post by davidh »

I am still speculating about a new PC mainly for PWP8. I have upgraded the processor one level from my previous suggestion but I am not sure how it will communicate with the type of RAM. I hope the chipset should be OK.

Processor: AMD RYZEN 7 3700X @ 3.6GHz
Motherboard: MSI X470 GAMING PLUS MAX
RAM: G.Skill Aegis 32GB (2x16GB) 3200 MHz, or perhaps HyperX Fury 32GB (2x 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz
Graphic card: ASUS GT730-2GD5-BRK

Also not sure about the graphic card. The configurator does not offer many graphic cards that support two monitors one of them still being VGA (for an older monitor used as a second).
This configuration is not intended for gaming so I do not expect much of the graphic card. On the other hand it would be shame if it harmed the overall system performace in some way.

Thanks again for any advice.
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

I'm not an expert on building PCs as I always but them pre-configured. Off-hand the processor and graphics card look fine -- I don't know much about RAM, so I can't comment.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
davidh

Post by davidh »

Never mind. It was just an attempt to do it the other way as I have failed to find a pre-configured PC in the market that meets my purposes without having to buy with it HW components I will never make proper use of. I think I will try to look for some local HW enthusiast.
Thanks anyway.
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

If you build it yourself, you fix it yourself if it doesn't work after you put it together.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color