Open Canon CR2 files?

Moderator: jsachs

rbroberts

Open Canon CR2 files?

Post by rbroberts »

This is a feature that went away with PWP8, I'm wondering if there is any plan to add raw support to PWP8. If not, are there a set of "favorite" tools people use to convert raw to TIFF? Well, I still have PWP7 on my computer, so that's what I'm using now....

roland
Charles2
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Fuji X-Pro 2

Re: Open Canon CR2 files?

Post by Charles2 »

The Canon program would be the first one to try. To extract maximum resolution, and do other things with high precision, Raw Therapee. And perhaps try DxO Photo Lab and decide whether it is worth the money.
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

+1 for Charles's recommendations -- other commercial products that work with PWP are Capture One and Adobe Lightroom.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
tomczak
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Fuji X-E2

Post by tomczak »

Just to add, my old Canon camera had an option to embed full-size JPG preview in its CR2 files, so I developed a routine to record RAW only which contained in-camera JPGs as well.

If the objective is to extract the embedded JPG rather than process RAW, FastStone can do that individually or as a batch. In PWP7 there was a right-click menu in Browser that allowed to do the same, probably using EXIFTool, which is another option to do the same thing.
Maciej Tomczak
Phototramp.com
tomczak

Post by tomczak »

Forgot to ask: PWP8 is obviously not designed to process RAW files, but would it be useful to be able to extract an embedded JPG preview from RAW for processing, within PWP8?

Some cameras can save full-size in-camera JPGs, some (like my Fuji X-E2) only attach a smaller preview JPG, which can be still useful if only RAW is available and I don't want to bother processing it.
Maciej Tomczak
Phototramp.com
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

As it happens, support for raw files may be coming very soon as I am currently working on integrating the LibRaw.dll library for reading raw files.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
tomczak

Post by tomczak »

tomczak wrote: September 12th, 2020, 4:51 am Forgot to ask: PWP8 is obviously not designed to process RAW files, but would it be useful to be able to extract an embedded JPG preview from RAW for processing, within PWP8?

Some cameras can save full-size in-camera JPGs, some (like my Fuji X-E2) only attach a smaller preview JPG, which can be still useful if only RAW is available and I don't want to bother processing it.
Would something like this be still in the cards?

Today, I mistakenly took only RAW(RAF), but since this is just for illustration/web purposes, I didn't want to spend time to process RAW, so I extracted embedded JPG previews using ExifTool (as a SendTo shortcut https://www.dl-c.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2326) but I had to remind myself how it worked as I haven't used it for a while.
Maciej Tomczak
Phototramp.com
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

I added support for raw files a while ago (12-Sep) so you should now be able to open CR2 files directly in PWP, giving you a basic image such as you would get from dcraw. I am currently working on a Raw Develop transformation that can apply lens and camera profiles to raw images to correct the color, distortion, light falloff and chromatic aberration.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
tomczak

Post by tomczak »

Yes, I've seen it and trying that too, but I was thinking that on top of RAW support, extracting the embedded preview JPG from RAW as an option could be useful.
Maciej Tomczak
Phototramp.com
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

Adding support for opening embedded thumbnails is not very high on my list.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color