Multiple text annotations

Moderator: jsachs

tomczak
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Fuji X-E2

Multiple text annotations

Post by tomczak »

I need to annotate an image with numbers from 1 to 20. Is there a simpler way of doing it then invoking Text 20 times in sequence?

In PWP7 I usually hit Apply, kept the Text transformation open, and keep changing the Input Image to the latest one for the next text annotation. Is there an equivalent of the Input Image square in PWP8?
Maciej Tomczak
Phototramp.com
Winfried
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Pentax K1

Re: Multiple text annotations

Post by Winfried »

You can try the Layout Transformation.
Use your image as the background.
Add a panel with transparent background and type the number in the text field
Adding another panel keeps the size and the color of the text.

Maybe this solves your problem.
Winfried
-----
migrated to Windows 10 in Nov. 2019
PWP Pro 64
CUDA not available
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

I second Winfried's method.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
rfuerman
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: sony rx100iii

Re: Multiple text annotations + arrows

Post by rfuerman »

Have an old b&w family photo to annotate (multiple) names, so I start adding text transformations, but this was cumbersome as noted by OP. Add arrows to text boxes and (Ah ha!) I see that the line, arrow transform can do text box + arrow in one step. Plus we can do multiple arrow/text boxes in single transform. Hint - put the image in a layout transform to get extra margins for the text boxes and it's ready to print. Make the arrow/line length = 0 to create the text box, only. See Lines, arrows.. help.
Transform | Tools | Lines, Arrows . . .
1) change arrow color to black, this opens color picker dlg. Now shift click on image to create arrow. This does not create the arrow, this changes arrow color to selected color. Note - your MUST close color picker before creating line or arrow.
2) Multiple text boxes: Select line #1, and add text box. Create line #2 - this line will have text box with same text as line #1. Delete the text from text box, update with new text. You MUST then click [Process updated text] red button to update to new text.
3) SAVE the annotation lines + text + images as the script file with image copies. You can then open the script file to update the annotations.

@Jsachs a) Help for 'Lines, arrows..' says "Clicking on the input image near an existing control point selects the line the control point is part of." Not quite correct - if you click near the line or control point, you will create a line extension; you must click ON the control point. b) if you do create the line extension in error, it would be helpful to have an undo command; c) A delete for line/text box, perhaps more intuitive than Ctrl+click last control point, would be useful. Thank you!
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

I admit there is some awkwardness in the interface for the Lines, Arrows Text Tool. Some day I would like to rework it to streamline entering multiple text boxes. A couple of clarifications:

1) You don't actually have to close the color picker -- if you want to leave it open you can just click on the Lines, Arrows Text dialog box caption to re-establish its control.

2) The red button, while sometimes annoying, avoids the alternate problem of the text input terminating if you don't type fast enough.

By clicking "near" I meant "on or very close to" -- I can see how that would be confusing and changed the help text accordingly.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

For the next release, I have tried to improve the usability of the Line/Arrows/Text transformation.

In a recent release I made the color picker no longer grab control away from the transformation dialog box so you don't have to close it to get control back.

Second, you can now right click on the input image area to add or remove control points or lines/arrows/text. Less to remember about clicking, shift clicking or ctrl clicking.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color