Workflow Foders

Moderator: jsachs

MBaeumler

Workflow Foders

Post by MBaeumler »

PWP 5.0 clutters the root directories of all my drives with "Workflow" folders.

I think there should be just one "Workflow" folder - either in the "My Documents" folder or in the user's application data folder. Another option would be in making it configurable in PWP's preferences.
ksinkel

Re: Workflow Foders

Post by ksinkel »

I don't know of any workfow files that PW creates on drive root directories. Can you give an example?

The only workflow folder PW creates is under the User's Application Data folder, usually located in the C drive. This folder is used for all general workflow files used to process multiple images. (Of course the user can store a workflow file anywhere, though this would have to be done explicitly.)

Workflow files are also used a sidecar files. Each sidecar file is dedicated to a particular image, is stored in the same folder as the image and named with the image name followed by the .wfl extension. Incidentally, workflow files can be deleted via the browser. In addition when image files are deleted, moved or copied from within Picture Window, any related workflow files are also deleted, moved or copied.

Kiril
Kiril Sinkel
Digital Light & Color
MBaeumler

Post by MBaeumler »

PWP doesn't create workflow files on drive root directories. It creates workflow folders (at least on my machine).

When I edit a picture and save it anywhere on drive c:, PWP creates the empty folders c:\workflows\defaults\ (see screenshot). Deleting the folders won't help - they will be recreated.

I also have a workflows folder in my user application data folder.
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
screenshot.jpg (32.87 KiB) Viewed 5445 times
ksinkel

Post by ksinkel »

PWP creates the Workflows\Defaults folder under the current user's application folder. It determines the path of this folder from the registry. The registry key for the applications folder is:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders under the AppData key.

I suspect the your system either is missing the key entirely or has no value under that key. If so, add the key and the path of your application folder and all should be well.

Kiril
Kiril Sinkel
Digital Light & Color
MBaeumler

Post by MBaeumler »

My system has the specified registry key. The entry is "C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\Markus\Anwendungsdaten".

I uninstalled PWP, cleared all registry keys and reinstalled PWP. Nothing has changed - the "workflow\defaults" folder will still be created in the root of drive c:.

After some experimenting I have found out, that PWP even creates a "temp"-folder in the root of drive c: (c:\temp) when the entry for the "Temporary File Directory" in PWP's preferences is empty.
ksinkel

Post by ksinkel »

The temp folder behavior is correct. c:\temp is the default location for the temp folder unless a different location is specified in preferences.

I would appreciate it if you could send me a screen shot of your registry showing the appdata key. Please send it ksinkel@dl-c.com.

Kiril
Kiril Sinkel
Digital Light & Color
MBaeumler

Post by MBaeumler »

Just an addition to my previous posts:

I normally use PWP under a limited user account in windows. Here the workflow folders will be created on the root of my drives.

The workflow folders won't be created when I run PWP with admin rights.

Maybe this information will help you to locate the problem.

My workaround for this problem is to run PWP via Surun http://translate.google.com/translate?u ... uage_tools.