planets effect

Moderator: jsachs

rfuerman
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: sony rx100iii

planets effect

Post by rfuerman »

Hi all. There is a nice effect called 'planets' or 'tiny planets' and if you search for 'tiny planets' you will see many examples. The effect stretches the photo around the outside of the image. This probably works best with panorama shots.
This is a 'polar-coordinate' effect in PS. Trying to duplicate this in PW with no luck. Can any one help? I'm thinking that the fan transform might work, if it would fan the full 360 degrees. Can' find anything else that comes close. Thank you! Bob F.
jsachs

Re: planets effect

Post by jsachs »

Nothing in PWP that will do this but it is a common rendering option in panorama stitching programs.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
Dieter Mayr
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Nikon D700

Post by Dieter Mayr »

Bob,

One problem with Fan-transformation is that you can't get a full sector of a circle, just a sector of a ring, means the "fan" never goes till the center of the circle.
But if you can construct the inner circle a other way ( Kaleidoscope of a clear sky may be a possibility ) you could add up four 90 degree Fan-processed images.
Kind of tedious Composite work, but should be possible.
Dieter Mayr
Dieter Mayr
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Nikon D700

Post by Dieter Mayr »

I don't have a real 360° Panorama on hand, so there is a diskrepancy at the 3 o'clock position, but does not matter for the method.
The original image is 4116 x 580 pixel (just a panoramish coutout from a bigger image).
With Crop I cut it down in 2 images 2058 x 580 pixel.
Then a Fan transformation for a 180 degree fan, Curvature setting for Fan to 88,48%
A little crop of 3 pixel at the bottom to get rid of the small white border left by fan.
Adding the additional space to composite to the upper image with crop-Add border, the same size as the upper image.
Rotating the lower halve image at 180 degree and add it in with composite.

The result:
Fan_Planet.jpg
Fan_Planet.jpg (25.61 KiB) Viewed 6289 times
Addendum:
A while ago (well, more then 10 years, god, time runs ... ) I posted a spreadsheet for calculating the Curvature setting for given image dimensions for the Fan-Transformation:
http://www.dl-c.com/discus/messages/2/5281.html
Dieter Mayr
rfuerman
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: sony rx100iii

Post by rfuerman »

Thank you, Dieter! I knew someone would know how to do this. I gave it a try, and I agree that the operative word is "Kind of tedious." Bob
pierrelabreche
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Nikon Z8

Post by pierrelabreche »

Would it be possible to use PWP's conformal mapping transformation to perform the polar coordinates transformation ?

Refer to step "Polar Coordinates filter found under Filter->Distort" in this page
https://petapixel.com/2021/10/09/how-to ... photoshop/
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

Fan will do this, but the width of the image needs to be pi times the height if you want to fill the entire disc. Then set the fan inner radius slider to zero. I don't think any of the conformal mapping functions will work.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
pierrelabreche

Post by pierrelabreche »

Thank you, it works great !

There is a white stitching line where the two opposite borders meet. Is there a way to remove this line without using cloning ?

Suggestion : modify the fan tool to remove the aspect ratio ( pi ) restriction, that is an option that would force wrapping of the full circle regardless of the original aspect ratio.
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

I will check out the line problem.

The limitation comes from requiring that the horizontal center line of the input image retains its scale -- pixels above the center line are stretched and ones below the center line are compressed.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
pierrelabreche

Post by pierrelabreche »

RE : "Suggestion : modify the fan tool to remove the aspect ratio ( pi ) restriction, that is an option that would force wrapping of the full circle regardless of the original aspect ratio.»"

What I suggested is that a control ( maybe a check-box ) would make the aspect ratio transformation to 1:pi within the fan transformation dialog.