PWP Raw and Output Color Space

Moderator: jsachs

JML

PWP Raw and Output Color Space

Post by JML »

I’m new to the PWP raw converter. In the manual it states under Advanced Settings:

Output Color Space: The color space to which the final image is converted …. Three standard color spaces are available. They are sRGB, Adobe RGB, and Wide Gamut.

If my output in PWP raw settings is sRGB, and if I then render a raw with the working space set to Chrome 2000 D65, the resulting image is tagged as Chrome. So do I then have a sRGB gamut residing in a Chrome 2000 D65 tagged image or do I have a Chrome gamut?
JML

Re: PWP Raw and Output Color Space

Post by JML »

I should mention that I am quite aware that converting upwards from one color space to another does not increase the gamut but I am not assuming that the process of rendering a raw into a color space is the same as converting between ICC profiles.
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

You have an sRGB image converted to the Chrome color space as if you had used Transformation/Color/Change Profile
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
ksinkel

Post by ksinkel »

In general, you should set your raw color space to your working color space (or as close to it as possible), as recommended in Help. There is really no advantage to making them different.

Kiril
Kiril Sinkel
Digital Light & Color
JML

Post by JML »

Kiril:

I do normally keep the image space and the working space the same and I was just experimenting with raw conversions. My reason for asking the question is that Adobe RGB is not that much larger than sRGB (except in the greens and to some extent the cyans) and Wide Gamut has been knocked as being compromised in the blues. Chrome has an extended blue gamut. After playing around with a gamut viewer and reflecting a bit, my current thoughts are:
  • Gamut clipping of the blues in the shadows is fairly common in my flower and fall foliage images but I like strong blacks in my nature and landscape images, so I no longer worry about gamut in the shadows.

Gamut clipping the reds (red and yellow flowers, fall foliage, and sunrise/sunsets) is quite common and the gamut in many of my images does extend beyond Adobe RGB. This is why I have used Chrome for gamut issues.

Wide Gamut should certainly contain colors I care about, so I plan trying it.
Thanks for the answers,

Jim
elied

Post by elied »

FWIW, In the days when I was doing my own printing - before my printer did a transmutation to paperweight - I regularly took the route RAW > Widegamut > Chrome D65.
Elie