Restore Workspace Problems

Moderator: jsachs

Robert Schleif

Restore Workspace Problems

Post by Robert Schleif »

1. If I have saved a script in a Final directory, and have deleted the original image, I can come back later and open the script, everything is fine. Having done this, if there is a power outage however and upon opening PWP I elect to restore the workplace, whatever restoration script is being run looks for the original copy of the starting image, and does not use the copy of the starting image that has been placed in a directory that PWP creates and places in the Final directory.
Possibly the following is related to the problem. When PWP is running the workplace recovery script, the name of the image that it is looking for looks like the name of the directory in Final that it had created. Is it possible that my directory structure has placed the copy of the original image one directory branch lower than PWP has been designed for or might the path contain too many characters? A path to the image that PWP should use in recovering the workplace would be
C:/pictures/2022/10 Sam/113 Canon/Final/2022-10-25 12-30-22 (C,Smoothing2) v1.tif.images/2020-10-25 12-30-22 (C,Smoothing2) v1.tif
2. Following a system crash and restarting Windows 11 multiple times, and installing yesterday's updated version of PWP, whenever PWP starts, it wants to recover a workspace, and the workspace it recovers is a workspace from weeks ago. (I may have had PWP running since then.) If it let it recover the workspace, close all images and quite PWP, the next time I open PWP it goes through the same routine again. I can't make it stop thinking that it has to recover the old workspace.
jsachs

Re: Restore Workspace Problems

Post by jsachs »

The file Crash Recovery.workspace, located in the folder C:\users\<user name>\AppData\Local\Picture Window Pro is where the workspace is stored that is recovered after a crash. When PWP exists normally, this file is deleted. When PWP starts up, it looks for this file and offers to reload it. It looks like there is something wrong with your copy of Crash Recovery.workspace and you may need to remove it manually.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
Robert Schleif

Post by Robert Schleif »

I deleted the file in the directory "Session State" (had today's date) and then the directory "Session State", but the ill-behavior persists.
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

You need to delete Crash Recovery.workspace in AppData\Local\Picture Window Pro. Windows in its infinite wisdom hides the AppData folder so you need to change the view mode in Explorer to display hidden files.

Session.State is not a workspace file -- it simply records various program settings that are preserved from one session to the next.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
Robert Schleif

Post by Robert Schleif »

Thank you. Deleting the file fixed problem number 2 from above. Problem number 1 remains.
Robert Schleif

Post by Robert Schleif »

With a little more playing around it looks like Save Workspace and Restore Workspace do not know how to handle the situation when the source image for a branch has been placed on the workspace by opening a script. Restore Workspace looks for an image file and overlooks the relevant script.
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

A crash recovery workspace is only saved when you click OK on a transformation or when you copy or move transformations to a new location in the image tree (the same time Autosave.workspace is saved). Thus what is restored may not be completely up to date. It also looks like there was some problem with your Crash Recovery.workspace file that was keeping it from being updated so there was a copy left over from an earlier time. I'm not sure what would cause this -- did you have any trouble deleting it manually?
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
Robert Schleif

Post by Robert Schleif »

OK, learning the conditions necessary to trigger saving a recover workspace file explains a lot of the behavior that confused me. It might be helpful if there were more about saving and restoring workspace in Help. I don't find anything under workspace or restore.

With respect to the file that might have been corrupted: when I first looked to delete it after your suggestion, it was not visible with File explorer even when set to show hidden files. After more messing around, crash recovery.workspace appeared and I deleted it. At about the same time, in preferences I changed On startup and On exit from Ask to Don't Ask. This may have further confused things.

Neither Recover workspace nor Open workspace script using the most recent autosave file seem to work if the branch to be restored on the workspace was generated by a saved script. This may a slightly more clear description of the issue.
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

Saving or loading a script or workspace script does not currently trigger doing an workspace autosave, however I have added this for the next release.

There is a description of how this works in the help file under the heading Autosave, just before it talks about the Recover command. I added some additional material regarding crash recovery.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
Robert Schleif

Post by Robert Schleif »

Thank you for the help and explanations. A cross reference like "Restore workspace, see Autosave" might be helpful.