Clone with Synchronized scrolling OFF

Moderator: jsachs

davidh

Clone with Synchronized scrolling OFF

Post by davidh »

When you clone with display set to Side by Side and Synchronized scrolling set to OFF and click Undo last Operation, Synchronized scrolling is automatically set to ON. So whenever you undo a stroke you need to reset Synchronized scrolling back to OFF.

This is not a problem when you zoom to Fit, but it might become annoying when you use a different zoom for input and output images.
When you click Undo last Operation the left-Input window zoom synchronizes to the right-Preview window zoom. This repositions the Input image and the source area with its circle quite often gets out of the Input image borders.
You then additionally need to re-zoom the Input image and find the source area in it.
jsachs

Re: Clone with Synchronized scrolling OFF

Post by jsachs »

Here is how it is supposed to work when you undo a stroke in split screen mode:

1) If the source image is the input image, split screen is turned off and synchronized scrolling is turned on
2) If the source image is not the input image but has the same dimensions, synchronized scrolling is on
3) If the source image is not the input image and is not the same size as the input image, synchronized scrolling is off

It works this way because you can only have synchronized scrolling if the images are the same or the same size.

Which of these cases are you looking at?
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
davidh

Post by davidh »

The key phrase is Undo the last operation

Let's take the scenario 2 (the source image is not the input image but has the same dimensions)

- load the source image -> the Synchronized scrolling button is ON
- switch the Synchronized scrolling button to OFF
- zoom the left and right display windows differently - preferably zoom in the right window rather more then the left one
- make at least two cloning strokes
- click Undo the last operation -> this sets the Synchronized scrolling button to ON and synchronizes the left preview window zoom according to the right one.

To go on with cloning now you have to set the Synchronized scrolling button back to OFF and reposition and re-zoom the left window to get back to the source circle.
The bigger the difference between the zooms the greater chance that the source cloning area with its circle disappears from the left window cloning.

-----------

And two more observations regarding scenario 3 (different size, etc.)

You wrote: ...Synchronized scrolling is off....
- in fact its button may not be displayed

On loading a source image the Synchronized scrolling button is hidden, however it can be displayed (besides toggling the display buttons) by clicking on the Display Side by Side button even though it is already depressed.
I think hiding the Scrolling button with the Display Side by Side ON is not intended.

Sorry if I got it wrong here. (Still scenario 3)

- Load a source image (different size, etc.) - Display Side by side button is ON (Synchronized scrolling button does not matter now.
- Make some cloning strokes
- Switch to Display Preview button and back to Display Side by Side button -> now the source image is replaced with the input image in the left window, the source image thumbnail is removed from the Source image icon
- reload the source image from the list -> you get the source image back in the left window, but you cannot continue where you stopped before switching the preview buttons

This means that you should not toggle preview buttons before finishing cloning as toggling the preview buttons seems to complete the cloning session the same way as clicking OK.
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

After some significant amount of rewriting, I think I have fixed these issues for the next release, at least to the extent that I have been able to test.

The synchronized scrolling tool bar is hidden unless

1) the screen is in side-by-side mode
2) there is an auxiliary input image selected
3) the auxiliary input image is the same size as the input image

If there is an auxiliary input image whose size is not the same as the input image, synchronized scrolling is never allowed.

Similar problems affected some other transformations that accept a single auxiliary input image: Blend, Composite, Difference, Filter, Match Reference and Stereo, Watermark which I believe I have also fixed.
--------
Sorry if I got it wrong here. (Still scenario 3)

- Load a source image (different size, etc.) - Display Side by side button is ON (Synchronized scrolling button does not matter now.
- Make some cloning strokes
- Switch to Display Preview button and back to Display Side by Side button -> now the source image is replaced with the input image in the left window, the source image thumbnail is removed from the Source image icon
- reload the source image from the list -> you get the source image back in the left window, but you cannot continue where you stopped before switching the preview buttons

This means that you should not toggle preview buttons before finishing cloning as toggling the preview buttons seems to complete the cloning session the same way as clicking OK.
--------

Not sure I understand this one, but give it another try with the next release and let me know if it the problem goes away.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
davidh

Post by davidh »

Version 8.0.333
Let me answer separately.

The following is a kind of cosmetic one.

You wrote: If there is an auxiliary input image whose size is not the same as the input image, synchronized scrolling is never allowed.

Yes, Synchronized Scrolling button is hidden when you load an auxiliary image, but it can still be displayed by clicking on Display Side by Side button.

Image 1: source image is loaded -> Synchronized Scrolling button is hidden, Display Side By Side button is pushed in, default - OK
Image 2: you are still allowed to click on Display Side By Side button to display Synchronized Scrolling button - clicking on it should have no effect
Attachments
Synchronized scrolling.png
Synchronized scrolling.png (153.15 KiB) Viewed 1465 times
davidh

Post by davidh »

The second part - regarding the scenario 3. S

The second part is a bit more difficult to describe.
And even more difficult to implement, I guess. It even might not be worth it.

The bottom line is that switching previews removes the source image thus breaking the established cloning link which is not re-established after the source image is reloaded.
If there is no clearly defined point common to input and source images, it may be impossible to smoothely reconnect where you finish cloning before swithinchg previews. See the attachment. Read the images clockwise.

image 1: loading a source image and doing some cloning without finishing it - the rectanle is not completed.
image 2: display is switched to Preview -> this removes the source image and breaks the cloning link
image 3: switching display back to Side by Side just displays the input image - the source and the link are not there any more
image 4: reloading the source image will not re-establish the lost clone link to the state before switching preview (image

Some suggestions:
Perhaps switching previews should not automaticaly remove the source image and break the clone link. This could be done by user instead.
What I mean is that switching previews should not do the same as changing source images.
If user decides to change the source image before they finish sourcing the current one, it is their decision. But perhaps not by switching previews.

Or, from another, purely theoretical, point of view; when cloning, what is the use of having the other two display options when you can clone from the input image itself - no need to remove the source image.
This brings me to answering my own question: what if clicking on other then Display Side by Side button simply did nothing?

let me repeat this all regards only the scenario 3: The source image is not the input image and is not the same size as the input image.
Attachments
Clone with switched Previews.png
Clone with switched Previews.png (279.32 KiB) Viewed 1465 times
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

I made the change to retain the Source Image setting when changing the display to output-image-only. This seems to work OK as you can still clone from the source to the output image even though the source image is no longer visible. Since this does not seem to cause any problems, I will leave the change for now. If any issues come up I can always put it back the way it was.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
davidh

Post by davidh »

Nice solution.
Thank you.