New Crop

Moderator: jsachs

tomczak
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Fuji X-E2

New Crop

Post by tomczak »

It's worth looking at the newly improved Crop transformation (including reading Help entry). I thinks it's great and more functional now, with nice touches like dragging sides and dragging output preview.

One comment is, but I'm not sure if I understand how this should work, on shrink to match current view. If the current view is the displayed portion of the Preview input image, the shrink crop to the current view does crop something, but it's not quite what I'm seeing in input preview window.
Maciej Tomczak
Phototramp.com
jsachs

Re: New Crop

Post by jsachs »

I think it is working, but it is not zooming the output image to fit. I have fixed this for the next release. If there is something else wrong, please let me know.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
tomczak

Post by tomczak »

I'm not exactly sure what I'm doing wrong (or if I'm expecting the right thing). Here is screenshot of Shrink Crop Box to the Current View - what I was thinking that it would set the crop box based on input preview, but it doesn't seem to work this way - it seems that if the input image preview is zoomed in, the Shrink... works fine horizontally, but it's off vertically (I can explain it better if it doesn't show this way).
Attachments
2021-04-21_000321.png
2021-04-21_000321.png (179.06 KiB) Viewed 3575 times
Maciej Tomczak
Phototramp.com
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

OK, thanks -- I fixed it for the next release.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
tomczak

Post by tomczak »

Cheers!

One more comment about the new drag-output-preview feature: the output image repaints once the mouse buttons is released (i.e. when dragging the output image window, it is not updated until after the dragging is done). There may be a technical reason for that, but I just want to mention that if the output image updated 'live' as it is being dragged, it would be easier to make precise cropping adjustments (and if that's too slow, Auto Preview can be turned off).
Maciej Tomczak
Phototramp.com
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

I think that would be too slow and would blink annoyingly, but I did make a change to cause the overlay on the input image to move as you drag the output image.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
MarkT

Post by MarkT »

Not sure if this is related, but I notice if I drag the crop selection in to the image, and then drag the bottom edge down, the selection box extends beyond the image boundary.

PWP8_new_crop_001.JPG
PWP8_new_crop_001.JPG (81 KiB) Viewed 3551 times

It snaps back into place with any additional positioning.
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

I fixed the out of bounds problem for the next release. Also, to get the output image to update when dragged, I now update the output image if you stop dragging it for 0.25 seconds. This lets you move it around freely and then pause to check the result.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
tomczak

Post by tomczak »

That may be asking for a luxury, as it is already possible by typing zero in the Angle field: since Shift-drag corner rotates the cropping frame, maybe some other special key combination could straighten it out?
Maciej Tomczak
Phototramp.com
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

For the next release, if you right-click on the input image you get a menu to let you reset the cropping rectangle or just the rotation angle.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color