Fill Tool vs. Fill Mask - the control points

Moderator: jsachs

tomczak
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Fuji X-E2

Fill Tool vs. Fill Mask - the control points

Post by tomczak »

In the Fill Tool, the control points are visible and movable. I can't figure out the way of doing the same in Fill Mask, other than doing undo to delete the latest control points in sequence.
Maciej Tomczak
Phototramp.com
jsachs

Re: Fill Tool vs. Fill Mask - the control points

Post by jsachs »

Clicking on the input image again before the flood fill tool has been applied sets the control point to the new location you clicked on and recomputes the mask overlay. Similarly with adjusting the threshold slider.

It would probably a little more consistent with the Fill tool and more intuitive if the control point was displayed as an overlay on the input image until it is finalized.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
tomczak
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Fuji X-E2

Post by tomczak »

So do I get it right: other than not being able to see the control points in Mask Flood (and simple click to add control point instead of Shift-click), it works similarily to Flood Tool? i.e. each click changes the location of the single (last) control point, but Shift-click adds another one? Also, the Threshold slider - is it attached to the current (latest) control point?

On another observation (this is for Mask Fill, not Fill Tool): Shift-click ads a new control point; Ctr-click does something, but I'm not sure exactly what - maybe deleting a control point, if it's clicked close enough to it?
Maciej Tomczak
Phototramp.com
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

For the next release, I display the control point until the flood fill tool is finalized by clicking Apply.

A click on the input image when the flood fill tool is active (i.e. before clicking Apply) sets the location of the control point. Up until you click Apply, you can then click somewhere else on the input image to place the control point there instead. Or you can adjust the threshold to include less or more of the surrounding area. Whichever you change, the mask overlay is recomputed and redisplayed, but the updated mask does not trigger a recalc of the transformation. When you click Apply, the flood fill operation is finalized and the transformation is updated. At this point, the next click on the input image will add a new control point and start a new flood fill operation.

Shift click is simply a shortcut for clicking Apply and then clicking on the input image. By simulating an Apply, this finalizes any previous flood fill and starts a new one. The result is similar to the way the flood fill mask tool used to work.

Ctrl click is the same as click.

The Fill transformation does not work the same way -- consider it vaguely similar but unrelated.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color