Check for update error???

Please use this forum to post bug reports, feature requests, tips, etc. for beta versions of Picture Window Pro 8

Moderator: jsachs

jimbhicks

Check for update error???

Post by jimbhicks »

I am currently running version 8.0.2 which I downloaded on 10/15. Checking the download page seems to show no newer version. Yet when I do a Check for Update it says there is a newer version available. Is this an error or are you in process of putting out a new version?
jsachs

Re: Check for update error???

Post by jsachs »

Should be fixed now - a quote mark was missing.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
jimbhicks

Post by jimbhicks »

I just did a Check for Updates using the new version 8.0.3 and this is what I got.

Newer version available.

Current version -- Picture Window Pro 8.0.3 v8.0

New version -- Picture Window Pro 8.0.2
major 8
minor 0
end
v0.0

I would have inserted a screen window capture but I haven't figured out how to do that!!
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

There was a problem I found and fixed right after I uploaded 8.0.3 that was getting an obsolete, cached version number file from the server instead of the latest one, so even though I fixed the missing quote, it was still reading the old file. There is an update loaded (also 8.0.3) that should fix this problem. All you need is the zip file to update.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
jimbhicks

Post by jimbhicks »

I downloaded the .zip file and moved the .exe into the proper folder and still got the same message as above. Then I downloaded the whole .msi installer and still got the same thing. Then I uninstalled PWP and did a reinstall and I'm still getting the same thing. (?????)
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

Strange -- I can confirm that the correct version number file is present on the server, but you are still getting the previous version even though I am explicitly asking Windows to clear it from the cache. When I ran it here, it was getting the old version until I uploaded the fix at which point it started working OK.

When you download the zip file, what is the file size? Maybe you are still getting the old version when you download. It should be 1,987,530 byte
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
jimbhicks

Post by jimbhicks »

I have downloaded the new .zip file twice and the size is 1,987,417 bytes for both.
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

My bad -- It looks like in my rush to fix the problem I uploaded the updates to the wrong folder. I am uploading them now to the right folder. Should be OK in a few minutes.

Sorry for the confusion.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
jimbhicks

Post by jimbhicks »

OIK, that's fixed. But it looks like you need to update your update log. Or maybe you put the new log in the wrong folder also.
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

The update log is actually OK, but again you are probably seeing a cached copy of a previous version. This is a really annoying "optimization" that web browsers implement to avoid downloading the same file over and over again. Sometimes reloading the web page fixes it.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color