Palette Tool

Please use this forum to post bug reports, feature requests, tips, etc. for beta versions of Picture Window Pro 8

Moderator: jsachs

Marpel
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Nikon D810

Palette Tool

Post by Marpel »

First off, just noticed some further work on the tablet support, so thanks for that (although I have yet to check out the changes).

On the noted topic though,

If I use the Palette Tool, without the Color Picker, I can click on a spot and then move the cursor around the image. As expected the Palette moves from it's docked location and follows the cursor while updating the color at the cursor's location.

However, if I try to do the same, after opening the Color Picker, I can click on a location in the image, the Palette Tool will snap to that location, and the Picker will identify that color, but I then can't move through the image while continuing to hold down the mouse button. The cursor will move, but the Palette remains in the first location and the Picker (and Palette) color will not update. I have to release the mouse (and the Palette snaps back to the docked position) then re-click the mouse each time I wish to see an updated color (and the Palette snaps back and forth between the cursor and docked locations).

Is this intended?

Marv
jsachs

Re: Palette Tool

Post by jsachs »

Mouse events (button down, move, button up, etc.) are processed differently, depending on which control or dialog box is active at any given time. If you click on the color picker, it gets activated and when you then click on the image it sets the color in the Color Picker. If you click on the Palette tool, it gets activated and when you click on the image it moves the palette dialog box and sets the current palette color.

I'm not sure what operation you were performing when PWP behaved the way you describe, but it didn't do that when I tried to reproduce the problem.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
Marpel

Post by Marpel »

Jonathan,

Thanks for the response.

However, perhaps a bit of a different explanation.

I like to use the Palette Tool to click on an image in an area which has a general color tone of interest, then move the cursor around that specific area to further narrow the exact color. So, when I move the cursor around, the Palette snaps to a location just below the cursor and follows the cursor while I move the cursor around (and the color dynamically changes in the chosen button).

If I then activate the Color Picker, then re-activate the Palette Tool, I can click the cursor in an area of the image and the Palette will snap to the cursor's location. The color in the Palette button will change to that color as will the Color Picker. But if I keep the mouse button clicked down, I can move the cursor around (as in the first example) but the Palette won't follow the cursor nor will it change color relative to the cursor's location. It is only when I release the mouse (and the Palette snaps back to it's docked location), then click again in a location in the image, that the Palette again snaps to the cursor and the color in both the Palette and Color Picker change. Again, I can't move the cursor around to affect a change in the Palette.

I was just wondering why the Palette will follow the cursor (and the color change is dynamic) when only the Palette is alive, but won't if the Color Picker is open (but not active).

Marv
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

I understood you before, but for example if I use the Color Balance transformation and click the color the Remove to get a color picker I don't see the problem you are seeing here. This leads me to believe that it is specific to some transformation or transformations or that you are doing something else different, but you don't say how you are getting a color picker to appear. I tried several other transformations as was not able to reproduce it either.

Just to be clear, you need to click on the Palette tool window to re-activate it and not click on the button in the main tool bar.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
Marpel

Post by Marpel »

I see from your other post that you are away for awhile, but I thought I would post this reply while the matter is still fresh in my mind. As it is not urgent (nor important, I guess) your response can certainly wait until your return.

And sorry if I did not properly explain how I opened the Color Picker.

After opening the Palette Tool and identifying a color from the image, I click on that colored button in the Palette Tool, which opens the Color Picker (where that color is shown). This results in both the Palette Tool and the Color Picker visible on the screen(s) (dual monitors with Color Picker on the second monitor). I click on the header of the Palette Tool to make it active, then click again somewhere in the image and the new related color is shown.

But, unlike if the Palette Tool was the only open dialogue, I can't keep the mouse button pressed and move the cursor around the image. Actually, not quite true, I can move the cursor, but the Palette does not follow the cursor nor does the color automatically update. It stays the same color that I first clicked on. If I wish to see a new color, I have to release the mouse (and the Palette Tool snaps back to the default dock location), re-click, then repeat multiple times as I move the cursor.

Marv
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

I haven't actually left quite yet.

I see the problem now -- fixed for next release.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color