Bug fix release 2-Oct-2019

Please use this forum to post bug reports, feature requests, tips, etc. for beta versions of Picture Window Pro 8

Moderator: jsachs

jsachs

Bug fix release 2-Oct-2019

Post by jsachs »

I have posted a new release (2-Oct-2019).

The changes (taken from the update log) are:

Advanced Sharpen, Bilateral Sharpen, Denoise, Unsharp Mask: When showing the difference between the output and input images, they are now subtracted in the reverse order so the difference image is brighter or darker where the output image is brighter or darker than the input image.

Clone, Smudge and Mask Paint tools: now support the same tablet pressure settings as the Paint tool. Several problems with the pen were also fixed. Systems without a tablet should be unaffected.

For those transformations with in-dialog previews such as Gaussian Blur, Unsharp Mask, etc., dragging on the preview scrolls it as before, but the preview is no longer redrawn until the mouse button is released.

Masks transformation: fixed a couple of problems, one of which could have caused workspace files to crash with a missing command line error message.

Fixed minor problems with restoring maximized image browser at start of session.

Slide Show and Display Image Full Screen: images are now always scaled to full screen even if it means zooming in – previously image were never displayed at greater than 1:1 zoom factor.

Added support for reading (not writing) DNG files, but you need to download and install Adobe DNG Codec 2.0 first. There may be a problem with reading image orientation, so vertical format images may come in rotated. Adobe DNG Codec 2.0 (not to be confused with Adobe DNG Converter) can be downloaded from the website.

Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
den
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Canon EOS-350D/Fuji X100T

Re: Bug fix release 2-Oct-2019

Post by den »

Halo Limits still reversed?

Ref: PWP8.0.exe 02-Oct-2019 & 21-Sep-2019 Help

The USM transform Preview does not match the transformed image version:
Reversed Halo Sliders.jpg
Reversed Halo Sliders.jpg (75.26 KiB) Viewed 8111 times
...den,,,
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

I don't think the Halo Limits are revesed.

From the screen shot it looks like you forgot to click the (running man) button above the preview image to apply the settings to the full resolution output image. This button would be grayed out if the two images were synchronized.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
den

Post by den »

The "Transformed Img" is a screenshot image area of the USM transform OKed resulting image... ...den...

Edit: Clicking the 'running man' before clicking 'OK' does make the Preview and Transformed Img match. Is it intentional that an OK no longer executes the transform? ...den...
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

I am not seeing this here - when I click OK it executes the transformation when the running man is black. Can you reproduce this?
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
den

Post by den »

I cannot duplicate this after doing a system restart.

I initially did the following:
1) downloaded/saved PWP8.0.exe 02-Oct-2019 zip
2) Renamed existing Program Files/.../PWP 8.0.exe to PWP 8.0_190927.exe
3) opened 02-Oct-2019 zip and copied its PWP 8.0.exe to Program File/.../
4) opened PWP8 program to verify the new exe version and tried the USM transform with the Input image as illustrated.

Again, after a system restart I am unable to duplicate the initially posted anomaly.

I will usually leave the 'renamed' PWP 8.0.exe file in the Program folder to make it easier to revert to the previous release if needed.

...den...
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

Well, let me know if you see it again -- I don't think there was anything wrong with the install.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
Charles2
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Fuji X-Pro 2

Post by Charles2 »

jsachs wrote: October 2nd, 2019, 12:03 pm Added support for reading (not writing) DNG files, but you need to download and install Adobe DNG Codec 2.0 first.
That loads the JPG embedded in the DNG, which is about what one would expect rather than a full demosaicing operation on the raw data.
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

The Microsoft DNG codec loads the embedded JPEG -- the Adobe DNG codec loads the full image.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
Charles2
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Fuji X-Pro 2

Post by Charles2 »

jsachs wrote: October 3rd, 2019, 5:41 am The Microsoft DNG codec loads the embedded JPEG -- the Adobe DNG codec loads the full image.
Well, Adobe does not make it easy to find a description or documentation of the assumptions that matter when making an image out of the raw data, such as how the codec sets the tone curve, temperature and tint, etc. When PWP-Oct-2 opened a DNG, the codec gave it a mere sRGB image, which I allowed to Convert to my working Adobe RGB color space. Then I clicked Save As and PWP crashed.