Bug fix release 27-Sep-2019

Please use this forum to post bug reports, feature requests, tips, etc. for beta versions of Picture Window Pro 8

Moderator: jsachs

jsachs

Bug fix release 27-Sep-2019

Post by jsachs »

I have posted a new release (27-Sep-2019).

The changes (taken from the update log) are:

Reduced help file size by almost 40% and eliminated a couple of large bitmaps from the install script. This make the install file more than 35MB smaller.

Added the option to download load only the latest executable file. This is less than 2MB instead of the 211MB for the full installer. The download is in the form of a zip file – just double click on it after downloading and drag the PWP 8.0.exe file from the zip file to the folder where Picture Window Pro is installed (normally C:\Program Files\Digital Light & Color\Picture Window Pro 8). This updates the main program only and not the help file, user interface bitmaps, or other supporting files.

For those transformations with in-dialog previews such as Gaussian Blur, Unsharp Mask, etc., clicking on the input image re-centers the preview as before, but re-centering no longer occurs when moving the cursor with the left button down as this caused excessive redrawing of the preview.

When saving JPEG and TIFF files, any preview or thumbnail images from the original file are now removed as they no longer correspond to the updated image. Previously the thumbnail was copied from the original file along with all the other metadata.

Began work on supporting Wacom and other compatible tablets. The About box now reports whether an available tablet was detected or not at startup. Added Stylus Pressure settings to the Paint tool to control what effect, if any, stylus pressure has on the current stroke. Clone and Smudge tools and Mask Paint tool are coming once the Paint tool is working smoothly.

I have requested that the developers of the installer software we use add Select All and Select None buttons to the File Associations dialog box.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
jsachs

Re: Bug fix release 27-Sep-2019

Post by jsachs »

I welcome user feedback and try to fix problems as they are reported and I also consider feature suggestions. Snide comments and abusive language is not appreciated. If you have a bug report, just make a bug report. If you have a feature suggestion, just suggest it.

It has taken three years of hard work to create a new version of Picture Window and I probably won't do it again, so I have designed it with future computers in mind which will have powerful graphics cards, lot of RAM and multiple processor cores. It may be overkill for older or less powerful computers, and that's unfortunate, but it is not practical for me to start making scaled-down versions of the program along with the full version.

I did fix the infinite redraw problem when you re-center by clicking and dragging on the input image, but I missed the other way you can re-center by dragging the preview itself. I will fix this for the next release.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color