File save issues with 27 Aug version

Please use this forum to post bug reports, feature requests, tips, etc. for beta versions of Picture Window Pro 8

Moderator: jsachs

BobP45

File save issues with 27 Aug version

Post by BobP45 »

Just downloaded the latest version from 27 Aug 2019 (replacing the 10 Aug version on my computer). Much different behavior on File Save. Now when I open a JPEG file, process it, and hit file save, it defaults to TIFF. It used to default to the same file type as the input image, which I would prefer. And when I am overwriting an existing file on file save, I now get first an overwrite warning from Windows, hit OK to that, and then I get the usual overwrite warning from Picture Window as well.

Additional note: referring back to my occasional problems with metadata getting lost on File Save: today without thinking I renamed the input image file folder/directory (outside of Picture Window) while the image files were open in Picture Window. Nobody complained about a folder being locked and the rename worked. Later after saving the image files in Picture Window (to a different folder/directory), all metadata was gone. Probably ExifTool couldn't find the original metadata because of the input image folder rename? In any case, an error message would be good when that happens, if possible.

Thanks, Bob
BobP
Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, 16 GB RAM
jsachs

Re: File save issues with 27 Aug version

Post by jsachs »

I fixed the first two items for the next release. I had completely rewritten the File Save logic since Aug 10 and a few special cases slipped through the cracks.

I added a warning if the original file is no longer available when saving metadata. What I also realized is that the same problem happens if you overwrite the original file with the new one, so I needed to save to a temporary file, copy the metadata, delete the original, and then rename the temporary file.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color