Bug fix release 26-Aug-2019

Please use this forum to post bug reports, feature requests, tips, etc. for beta versions of Picture Window Pro 8

Moderator: jsachs

jsachs

Bug fix release 26-Aug-2019

Post by jsachs »

I have posted a new release (26-Aug-2019).

Fixed problems with dragging dialog boxes from one monitor to another with a different scale factor.

Clone: fixed problem causing unnecessary warning after clearing cloning.

Autorange: added dynamic range sliders to set dynamic range of output image (similar to the one in Levels and Color).

Scripts: when opening a script or workspace script saved without names, you can now select multiple files. The first one is processed immediately, and the rest are stored in the File Open file list for subsequent batch processing. Deleting all the files in the list now gives you the option to remove the entire branch.

Added a new transformation: Transformation/Color/Primaries. This transformation is loosely related to how I think the Camera Calibration controls in Lightroom work. Some folks use these Lightroom sliders to adjust the saturation of different colors in their images. For me, this seems awkward, but I haven’t used it enough yet to get a good feel to how and when to use it. If it turns out not to be useful, I may remove it later. See the updated help file or Transformations.pdf for a description and some tips on using it.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
rfuerman
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: sony rx100iii

Re: Bug fix release 26-Aug-2019

Post by rfuerman »

Hello.
1) Open 22-Aug workspace/batch script - broken? Only first image in image browser has image, rest are black. Run batch and saved jpg is black image!
26-Aug:
2) select second file on file list - only first transform image updates:
file_list_change.png
file_list_change.png (111.96 KiB) Viewed 2683 times
3) file list | delete all files. Now one image remains on main workspace - no images in image browser. And file | close does not clear main workspace.
Bob
Charles2
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Fuji X-Pro 2

About the new Primaries transformation

Post by Charles2 »

The Primaries transformation is something to explore. My first fear is that it would seduce me into violating what seems a good rule: keep calibration and other color adjustments that aim for accuracy separate from color changes that deliberately bend colors for aesthetic reasons.

For the latter, the Selective Color Correction is a great tool. Anything that raises its effectiveness would be good.
* For example, is it possible to diagram a region around a point based on the chosen radius?
* Is it correct that the diagram is for a fixed luminance, a slice through a solid? Then, could there be a slider to look at, perhaps control, the luminance at which the changes are made or are strongest?
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

Primaries as implemented in Lightroom is not really a calibration tool since there is no way to perform a calibration against a target of known colors.

What Primaries does, in effect, is to simulate the kind of color shifts you would get if you converted an image from one color space to another with a different white point and primaries. The advantage is that it gives you a lot more choices than just selecting from a small set of profiles.

Primaries converts one set of RGB colors to another just like any other color transformation. Understanding and controlling what it does is another matter. I have been on photography workshops where a professional photographer preferred using the Lightroom calibration sliders to adjust saturation because the results were better than using the other controls. That got me interested in what the calibration sliders actually do, and whether it was something worth implementing in PWP.

I am adding another feature to Primaries for the next release to give you the option of reversing the direction of the changes which actually makes it a little easier to understand.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

Bob,

I need to get a better idea what you are doing to fix this.

Are you saving the workspace script with or without names?

I think I have fixed #3 for the 27-Aug-2019 release which I will issue shortly. I am unable to reproduce #1 or #2 with the latest version.

It might help if you email me or post a copy of your workspace script file so we can get on the same page.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color