Bug fix release 14-Aug-2019

Please use this forum to post bug reports, feature requests, tips, etc. for beta versions of Picture Window Pro 8

Moderator: jsachs

jsachs

Bug fix release 14-Aug-2019

Post by jsachs »

I have posted a new release (14-Aug-2019).

The changes (taken from the update log) are:

Clone, Paint and Smudge: If the input image size does not match the original image size, you now have the option of clearing all the strokes before continuing. Also, when saving settings as the default, no strokes are saved.

Compare: fixed flashing at top of preview area.

Speck and Scratch Removal Tools: fixed problem causing previous actions of tools not being displayed when editing the transformation.

Speck Removal: added a new speck removal method. The old method interpolates image data across the speck in the direction that provides the best match across the speck. This works well if the background has no texture and is well approximated by a linear gradient. The new method searches around the edge of the speck for a patch that most closely matches the area around the speck and then copies the patch over the speck. This method does a better job of retaining the texture of the image but may not work quite as well if the background is smooth. Both methods are pretty good at preserving edges near the speck. Also, specks other than the current one are now displayed with a small circle in their center to make them easier to select. Script files involving Speck Removal from previous versions of PWP will still work, but script files created with the newest version will not work with older versions.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
Winfried
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Pentax K1

Re: Bug fix release 14-Aug-2019

Post by Winfried »

Just a short positiv feedback to the new speck removal method:
Since I do a lot of repros of slides, bw-negatives and color-negative by taking images of these "old" images with my DSLR and a good macro lens, I allways have to fight against dust. The repros show a lot of structures in form of film grain and the task is to remove the speck without disturbing the structure of the grain. The new speck removal method is of great help for me.
Winfried
-----
migrated to Windows 10 in Nov. 2019
PWP Pro 64
CUDA not available
jsachs

Re: Bug fix release 14-Aug-2019

Post by jsachs »

Good to hear it is working for you. The first time I tested it, I was really surprised how well it worked.
Before.jpg
Before.jpg (45.83 KiB) Viewed 1850 times
After.jpg
After.jpg (45.93 KiB) Viewed 1850 times
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color