Resetting Clone transformation does not always remove dependency

Please use this forum to post bug reports, feature requests, tips, etc. for beta versions of Picture Window Pro 8

Moderator: jsachs

davidh

Resetting Clone transformation does not always remove dependency

Post by davidh »

1. I made a tree with two Clone transformatios steps. The first one (17) to lighten some parts of the image using One to One cursors and the next one (22) to darken some other parts

2. Then I replaced the top level image with its brighter version using File Open feature.
3. Next I reset the first Clone (17), changed the Cursors to Linked and lightened the parts using this method
4. When I wanted to close the brightened Source image (15), the Close File box displayed the button Close the current image and all images that depend on it. So I reopend the Clone dialog to check the dependency, but the Source Image icon was empty and the source image (15) was not highlighted - the top part of the attachment.

Only then I noticed that there were still two source image icons next to the second Clone (22) transformation.
The lightened version remained there and was not closed when the first Clone transformation (17) was reset and the dependency between Clone (17) and its Source image (15) removed.

There seems to be no way to break the dependency between the Source image (15) and the second Clone (22) except perhaps reset the second Clone, which I hesitate to do because I would have to do all the cloning again.

--------------

When instead of two Clone transformations with a single Source Image each, you create one Clone transformation using two (or more) Source Images, and then Reset the Clone, all source image icons are closed and the Source images can be closed as well.
However, once loaded, there seem to be no way to close individual source images without reseting all cloning. That is why I used two Clone transformations.
Attachments
Reseting Clone transformation.png
Reseting Clone transformation.png (30.83 KiB) Viewed 1883 times
jsachs

Re: Resetting Clone transformation does not always remove dependency

Post by jsachs »

The only way to create a dependency from Clone is to select an image as a Source Image, so I am guessing that you accidentally selected both the lighter image and then the darker image in the second Clone step, accidentally creating an unwanted dependency. Once this dependency has been created, there is no way to get rid of it, although I could possibly create a command to remove unused Clone inputs or remove them automatically when the transformation is closed.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
davidh

Re: Resetting Clone transformation does not always remove dependency

Post by davidh »

...so I am guessing that you accidentally selected both the lighter image and then the darker image in the second Clone step, accidentally creating an unwanted dependency....

It is possible, I cannot rule it out.

To be able to remove unused input images would be a worthwile improvement.
Keeping a source image you no longer need as part of a tree makes the tree harder to read and prone to an unintentional step like deleting a substantial part of a branch.