Defringe and 1:1 clickable preview

This forum is closed to new entries. Please use the Picture Window Support forum instead.

Moderators: ksinkel, jsachs

tomczak
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Fuji X-E2

Defringe and 1:1 clickable preview

Post by tomczak »

Would it be a good idea to set Defringe preview to 1:1 clickable mode - in the same way as Chromatic Aberration and Sharpen are done? The reason is that 1:1 preview is pretty much the only way to adjust the parameters, and one has to move around the picture in 1:1 to do it well.

p.s. The new preview button in CA is awesome!
Maciej Tomczak
Phototramp.com
tomczak

Re: Defringe and 1:1 clickable preview

Post by tomczak »

Also with Defringe, could I be explained how the Threshold actually works: would it look at all the pixels in the image, find the pixels that are brighter (HSV-V?) than the set threshold, then look for pixels within the set radius from each of the 'bright subset' from previous pass, and if they are within the set hue range, desaturate them?

The reason I'm asking is that I experimented with it on a typical fringed image of tree branches against blue sky and I'm able to desaturate large patches of sky with it, which means to me that there is no edge detection logic there, is it? I haven't done it yet, but would it make sense to try to limit defringing to the edges with a mask, or would it be counterproductive?
Maciej Tomczak
Phototramp.com
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

Yes, that is how it works - it looks for pixels of the right hue that are brighter than the threshold. If you find you are desaturating sky, your hue range may extend too far toward cyan.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
tomczak

Post by tomczak »

The Radius in Defringe seems to be continuous, but the radius values displayed are integers: can the Radius actually take a fractional value?
Maciej Tomczak
Phototramp.com