Mat & Frame Transformaion

This forum is closed to new entries. Please use the Picture Window Support forum instead.

Moderators: ksinkel, jsachs

Winfried
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Pentax K1

Mat & Frame Transformaion

Post by Winfried »

I have some problems (maybe enhancement requests) with the Mat & Frame Transformation:
Normally I work with fixed-sized frames, for example 50 x 40 cm.
So the mate size is also fix.
What I need is the possibility to specify both (besides properties of the frame profile):
- mat size
- the image size

With the Mat & Frame Transformation I just can specify one of the values directly. Thats not enough.

The definition for the frame is not perfect. It does reflect the thinkness of the material.
See image of the profile I normally use.

Next point that is missing is an easy to understand drawing how to cut the frame opening.
Maybe have a look at the program MatWorks by Giorgio Trucco http://www.gt-photography.com/matworks.html
It helps me a lot to cut the mats for my pictures.

A combination of both functionalities would be great.

Thanks,
Winfried
Attachments
drawing of a frame profilöe
drawing of a frame profilöe
frame-profile-1.JPG (23.1 KiB) Viewed 3371 times
Winfried
-----
migrated to Windows 10 in Nov. 2019
PWP Pro 64
CUDA not available
jsachs

Re: Mat & Frame Transformaion

Post by jsachs »

Thanks you for the feedback - hearing how different users approach this transformation helps us design future versions.

The current Mat and Frame transformation is not intended to be a tool for people who cut mats and assemble frames themselves or for professional art framers - it is primarily intended to help photographers previsualize different framing options for their prints, and also lets them produce simulated frame renderings for web site posting and other similar uses.

Specifying both the mat size and the image size still does not define where to cut the mat openings since the image may not be centered in the mat. Clearly if you know the mat size and the image size you can easily compute to mat widths by simple subtraction.

Similarly while the amount of overlap where the frame covers the outside edge of the mat must be taken into account by a framer in order to cut mats to the correct dimensions, it is not of so much interest to the person who just wants to get an idea of how the framed print will look.

A tool for serious framers would also include a large library of standard mat colors and frame samples from different manufacturers. All of this is beyond the scope of this transformation which has deliberately been made as simple as possible to use.

Possibly a future version could include an advanced mode with more settings to accommodate frame builders.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color