unexpected mask tool behavior

Moderator: jsachs

penumbra

unexpected mask tool behavior

Post by penumbra »

The mask rectangle tool misbehaves for me when I work zoomed in to 5:1. I expect the corner of the rectangle diagonally opposite from the mouse to remain fixed as I move the mouse to define the box I want. Instead, when I move the mouse all four corners of the rectangle shift about, changing the size and shape of the rectangle (if I move either of the bottom corners, the rectangle gets taller; if I move either of the top corners it gets shorter). I don't see this happening at other zoom ratios. I don't see it happening with the polygon tool. Picture size and content doesn't seem to matter.

Tom
ksinkel

Re: unexpected mask tool behavior

Post by ksinkel »

You can also move the entire rectangle bodily by dragging it by its center. This will keep it thsame size all around.

Kiril
Kiril Sinkel
Digital Light & Color
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

I can't make it fail here. Please make sure the cursor changes to diagonal arrows before you drag - otherwise it is easy to drag the interior which moves everything or one of the edges.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
penumbra

Post by penumbra »

The cursor is diagonal arrows. This is not a case of accidentally moving the whole rectangle or one side. This is a case of moving (say) the lower right point of the rectangle and seeing it AND the upper left point moving at the same time in different directions.

Again, this is happening for me only at 5:1 zoom. At any other zoom the behavior is correct. Since it isn't failing for you I'll see if I can gather more data.

Tom
MikeG
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Panasonic G1

Post by MikeG »

I can reproduce this behaviour, following this procedure:

Window/Zoom Factor select magnification 5
Open mask tool and select rectangle tool
Draw rectangle
Move cursor to a corner so cursor changes to double arrow headed diagonal line
Click and hold
Move cursor and all four corners of the rectangle move

Cancel mask, return image to 'fit to screen', try above but at 6:1 - behaviour normal, only three corners move.

Cancel mask, return image to 'fit to screen', try again at 5:1 - all four corners move.

Vista 32 Home Premium, latest updates. PWP 5.0.1.5

Mike.
frankpix
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Fuji X-E3
Location: Bowie, MD, near Washington DC, Baltimore and Annapolis

Post by frankpix »

Mike -

I followed your directions but I just can't make it happen. (XP Pro, lots of memory, PWP 5.0.1.5)

When I drag with the double-headed arrow only three corners move, as they should - at any magnification. The only way I can force the whole rectangle to move is to drag with the single-headed arrow from an interior position.

A Vista issue? Or possibly something related to the graphics driver?

Frank
rfuerman
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: sony rx100iii

Post by rfuerman »

vista home; only at 5:1
a) box mask. This resizes as expected. However, when I create the box with the + cursor, then the box floats over the image window.
b) circle mask. This resizes correctly with double arrow cursor on the TOP corners. When I drag the double cursor on BOTTOM corners, then the window floats. This also floats when I create circle with the + cursor.
Bob F
penumbra

Post by penumbra »

I have a little more information. I see this problem happen with PWP 5.015 on my 64-bit vista computer and with PWP 3.5 on my XP computer (both Dells, both with NVIDIA video cards, though different models, one with a Dell wireless mouse, the other with a wired Kensington mouse). It happens regardless of screen resolution settings.

More strange results: I created a new image window of size 1000x1000 pixels and zoomed in to 5:1. I then opened the mask dialog, selected the rectangle tool, placed the mouse cursor in the middle of the window, and, holding down the left mouse button, moved the mouse to the right about an inch or so and stopped. As long as I kept the mouse button depressed, the rectangle slowly expanded upwards, even though I wasn't moving the mouse at all. When I released the mouse button, everything stopped and the cursor became the expected double diagonal arrow. When I pressed the left mouse button again without moving anything, the top edge of the rectangle began to creep up again. In fact, pressing the left mouse button with the mouse positioned over any of the vertices or any of the sides of the rectangle (and without moving the mouse) caused the top edge, the bottom edge, or the entire rectangle to creep upwards. Pressing the mouse button with the mouse positioned elsewhere had no effect.

The circle mask tool behaves the same way as the rectangle tool. The other mask tools do not exhibit this behavior.

I'm not sure where to go from here to help track down if this is a PWP problem or a windows problem or a mouse problem. I'm open to suggestions.

Tom