Vibrancy

Moderator: jsachs

den
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Canon EOS-350D/Fuji X100T

Re: Vibrancy

Post by den »

Correction:
(3) the 'Vibrance Mask's white represents 0% saturation, black represents 100% saturation plus the 'Subtract-ed' low saturation ColorRange selection, and the grays map the original saturation gradient from low to high saturations.
Should read:
(3) the 'Vibrance Mask's white represents 100% saturation, black represents 0% saturation plus the 'Subtract-ed' low saturation ColorRange selection, and the grays map the original saturation gradient from low to high saturations
gonzuller

Post by gonzuller »

A final report from me on the matter. Again, my thanks to the generous replies to my original posts. Based on the feedback from the posts I compared a method in PWP with the vibrancy slider in the Lightroom 2.3. In PWP I extracted the HSV-S channel and converted to 8-bit to make mask. I then applied Den's RGB color curve (http://www.ncplus.net/~birchbay/3tone/3tone.htm#Add2) in HSV-S color space with the mask applied to the image. Black slider at 0 and white slider adjusted for taste. The result is much more pleasing to me than LR which tends to saturate lighter colors (whites and greys) with a yellowish hue. Finally, this process has helped me understand color curves better, a transformation which has intimidated me in the past.

- Chris
MikeG
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Panasonic G1

Post by MikeG »

Den,

Thanks for the procedure for building a 'vibrance' mask.
However, there is one thing that puzzles me.
As I undestand things the idea of the vibrance mask is to protect areas of high saturation AND skin tones during any transformation. If this is the case, shouldn't step (5) in "The Vibrance Mask:" procedure be Add rather than Subtact?

Mike.
den
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Canon EOS-350D/Fuji X100T

Post by den »

Whether you Add or Subtract the "skin color" depends what you choose mask black/white to represent.

Please see 'gmitchell's' web page: http://www.thelightsright.com/TLRVibrance

For the illustration below:
1 = the 'saturation mask' [extracted HSV-S]
2 = the 'skin color mask' [Mask Tool - Color Range]
3 = the 'vibrance mask' ['saturation mask' minus 'skin color mask']
image = Saturation transform - preserve neither, vibrance mask white = 50, vibrance mask black = 0
Attachments
Vibrance.jpg
Vibrance.jpg (38.45 KiB) Viewed 4499 times
MikeG
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Panasonic G1

Post by MikeG »

Thanks, and thanks for the link.

Mike.